With Who: Camp Happy Days
Location: Can be held virtually. (organization based in Charleston, SC)
Dates: Spring 2021
Hours: 10 hours per week
Position Summary: Camp Happy Days is a small nonprofit based in Charleston that serves kids with pediatric cancer and their families. We run year-round programs for kids facing cancer, their siblings, and their families to help them cope with their diagnosis, connect with others experiencing the same thing, and just have fun—escaping the world of treatments, medical appointments, and hospitals to just be kids again. Our programs build resilience, self-esteem, and confidence, and our goal is to improve the emotional, psychological, and physical health of the whole family facing cancer.
This internship will support Camp Happy Days’ fundraising, marketing, and communications team. You will also have opportunities to interact with our programs team who works directly with our kids and families, as desired.
Duties and Tasks: The intern will assist the Director of Advancement, Marketing and Development staff with the following tasks:
- Special Events. Camp Happy Days is hosting our annual gala in February, and the intern will assist with planning the event, managing the guest list and auction items, and working with volunteers to host the event.
- Fundraising. The intern will assist fundraising staff with creating and sending fundraising letters, emails, and social media campaigns to donors.
- Social Media. An ideal candidate will be savvy on social media and will help come up with fun and engaging content for Camp Happy Days’ Facebook and Instagram.
- Graphic Design. Candidates with design experience will assist Camp Happy Days’ Communications and Marketing Manager with creating marketing collateral that showcases the Camp Happy Days brand.
- Photo, Video and Web. Interns with video and photography skills will have the chance to create online photo and video content that Camp Happy Days can use to share our work and mission with the community. Web design experience is a plus!
- Data Management. Interns will assist Camp Happy Days staff with some donor data management tasks, to ensure we are sending our messages to the right people.
- Analysis and Benchmarking. Interns with strong analytical skills can help the staff assess our work, measure our progress, and determine where we need to improve.
- Programs. Camp Happy Days’ mission is best realized in supporting the kids and families we serve. To the extent possible, the intern will have options to join in programs that serve our kids directly to connect with our mission in a fun and immediate way.
Qualifications: Applicants should experience with some of the following:
- Photography/Videography and editing
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Communications and Marketing
Coursework in these areas is desirable, but skills developed on your own or through real-world experience are great. Candidates do not need to have experience in all of these areas to be considered. Strong verbal and written communication skills, organization, and analytical skills are desired. Candidates must be available to work approximately 10 hours per week, with some flexibility.
Learning Objectives: The intern will learn:
- How to use event management and donor management software
- How to plan and organize a major fundraising event
- Social media strategy and best practices
- Fundraising and communication strategies for a successful and growing nonprofit
- How to track and assess progress toward organizational goals
- Soft skills, including working collaboratively with programs staff and volunteers
- The importance of connecting marketing and public relations to Camp Happy Days’ mission and the kids we support.
Application Deadline: Applications close on January 15, 2021 at 12:50 AM.