Location: Seaside, CA
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Position Description: Under the general direction of the Director of Communications & Marketing, the Digital Communications Specialist serves as the first point-of-contact for University Communication’s creative team for web projects. The Specialist assists in maintaining the university’s social media accounts and engages its followers while primarily maintaining web content and other electronic communications channels. In addition, performs a variety of administrative and technical duties such as assists with daily work flow project coordination, database and archive maintenance, and copy writing of web content, editing/proofreading content submitted by others and managing publishing of web content by continuators around the university.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Creates, curates, produces, and posts information (including written content, photos and videos) that keep the community abreast of current CSUMB news, happenings and events, responds to posts and comments, and properly markets the message of the University in order to reach goals and objectives. Edits photos and short videos prior to posting with Adobe Creative Cloud or similar software. May take photographs. Uses social media management tools, schedules content, and create reports to evaluate effectiveness.Manages the department’s digital marketing content creation and distribution including electronic invitations, web content and email. Collaborate with colleagues in the department and division, plan, develop, schedule, and publish university web pages with original or curated content. Create on-brand contact including writing copy, editing and sizing photos, web objects and editing HTML tags to correct display issues and create desired content design. Troubleshoots and corrects web content display errors, manages web navigation structure, reviews web analytics and broken link reports to correct issues and maximize user experience. Implement strategies and tactics to qualitatively enhance engagement with key stakeholder audiences within a context of supporting enrollment development, fundraising, advocacy and other both specific institutional goals and objectives as well as the university’s overall brand positioning.
- Design and implement direct email marketing campaigns. Write newsletters, direct response messages and event invitations, proofread emails for clarity, grammar and spelling. Design email templates using graphics, personalization and advanced features, ensure mobile-friendly email templates. Ensure emails follow industry policies and best practices.
- Assigns, tracks and coordinates complex projects with the digital content team through production using work-flow processing tools and project management strategies. Ensures all stakeholders meet established and agreed upon deadlines. Oversees digital project schedules, monitors budgets and anticipates deadlines and approvals. Revises schedules as needed. Conducts regular status meetings. Works with job owners to gather and approve content. Archives finished projects in accordance with records retention schedules and customary practices. Creates and maintains reports.
- Assists in maintaining an active, engaging, positive social/digital media presence for CSUMB accounts on platforms.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a related field.
- Three to four years of relevant experience.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills, including editing, and the ability to build effective relationships with staff, faculty, students, and external constituents.
- Proven ability to perform and coordinate administrative functions in a collaborative and creative environment.
- Demonstrated experience with project coordination.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, meet deadlines, and make decisions using sound judgment.
- Proven experience in and enthusiasm for customer service or support.
- Demonstrated experience with software such as WordPress, CSS, and basic HTML.
- Demonstrated experience with CRM software and knowledge of CRM/email best practices.
- Demonstrated experience with Adobe Creative Cloud, especially Dreamweaver and basic photo editing in software such as Photoshop.
- Demonstrated experience managing social media accounts for business, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Willingness and ability to work flexible and irregular hours, and travel in-state and out-of-state in support of school activities.
- Manages email marketing campaigns, updates lists and list segments, create email databases for lead generation.
- Works with print and broadcast media, and pay-by-click companies to book advertising and follow media schedules.
- Performs other job-related duties and special projects as assigned.
Knowledge: Working knowledge of and ability to apply standard theories, practices, principles and techniques related to communications in the public affairs, media, marketing, and/or sports information areas. Thorough knowledge of and ability to use effectively media outlets including planning media coverage and media publicity campaigns for the university and events. Thorough knowledge of web communication techniques, vehicles and formats. Working knowledge of copyright and other applicable laws pertaining to publications and the media. Knowledge of interview techniques and the ability to define and deliver media messages. Working knowledge of marketing and research techniques and methods. Working knowledge of applicable software packages.
Skills: Strong story development and journalistic writing skills, as well as advanced editorial skills. Exceptional interpersonal skills, including strong public speaking, listening and interpretive skills. Strong writing and editing skills to quickly produce clear and concise standard documents for internal and external publication.
Ability To: Build and manage more sophisticated media contacts; effectively use web technology to achieve communication goals; analyze and select pertinent facts and integrate them into communication vehicles; apply market research to identify communication needs and target audiences; provide lead work direction; appropriately handle sensitive and confidential information. Demonstrated ability to keep abreast of campus events and subject matter expertise in relation to current events to identify and capitalize on media opportunities that will promote the university and increase positive media coverage.
Minimum Qualifications: Entry to this classification requires knowledge of the fundamentals of public affairs and/or media relations, and/or some exposure to marketing and marketing research. This background normally is obtained through a college degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field, and up to two years of related professional or technical experience. In addition, strong written and verbal communication skills with a solid foundation in grammar, spelling, and the composition of various communication vehicles are essential to initial entry to this classification.
Specialized Skills: Experience as a social media contributor in a fast-paced environment. Ability to create and manage marketing campaigns around using standard social media tools, tactics, and principles. Experience analyzing analytics and making both quantitative and qualitative assessments. Able to manage a team of student assistants for content acquisition and creation.
Working knowledge of social media management systems (e.g. Hootsuite). Working knowledge of image processing (e.g. Lightroom), graphic design (e.g. Photoshop, Illustrator) and video post-production (e.g. Premier). Working knowledge of HTML, able to correct display issues and load/edit content in a CMS web editor (e.g. Drupal) using templates and WYSIWUG editors. Working knowledge of email marketing systems (e.g. Salesforce Marketing Cloud).
Strong proofreading skills with a thorough knowledge of leading style guide manuals. Outstanding time management skills; ability to coordinate logistics and execute all project details with an awareness of deadlines and attention to detail. Skills and flexibility to work cooperatively as a team member in a busy office.
Proven ability to learn new systems in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work under the pressure of tight deadlines. Advanced proficiency with of cloud computing, productivity and collaboration tools (e.g. Google Apps).
Preferred Qualifications: Working knowledge of agency project management software (e.g. Wrike). Use of content management systems and email marketing systems (e.g. Salesforce Marketing Cloud).
Technical fluency with Microsoft Office Professional Suite; Google G-Suite; Oracle-PeopleSoft/ Common Management System or equivalent information systems; drives; and internet browsers. Highly desirable: Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to CSUMBs Founding Vision Statement.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a background check (including a criminal records check).
- The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
- This position will have a duty to report to the Campus Title IX Officer information pertaining to victims of sex discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, dating/domestic violence, and stalking as required by CSU Executive Order 1095.
- Must possess and maintain a valid license to drive in the State of California, pass the Defensive Training Class, and be insurable under the Universitys liability coverage.
- May require occasional evenings and/or weekend work.
Physical Environment: Office environment with standard equipment and tasks. Position requires working at a computer and desk for extended periods of time. Requires travel between campus offices and off-campus locations.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Type of Appointment: Full-Time, Probationary
- Collective Bargaining Unit: Technical and Support Services (CSUEU)
- Anticipated Campus Hiring Salary: Mid to high $4,000s/month
- CSU Salary Range
- FLSA Status: Exempt
CSUMB offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, dental & vision plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. For more information, visit: CSU Benefits R09. Additionally, University Corporation at CSU Monterey Bay provides access to affordable campus housing based on availability, visit: Employee Housing.
Application Deadline: This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:55 p.m. Eastern time on March 30, 2020.
Apply (or request more information): Apply today! To apply, visit https://csumb.peopleadmin.com/postings/5670
Latest posts by Megan Gould (see all)
- Amazon: Seeking Internal Communications Manager - May 21, 2020
- Spinx: Seeking Social Media Coordinator - May 21, 2020
- Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System: Seeking Communications and Digit Marketing Specialist - May 21, 2020