With Who: Arizona State University Athletics
Location: Tempe, AZ
Type of Employment: Full-Time
Salary: $36,000 – $40,000 per year; DOE
Position Description: Sun Devil Athletics seeks a Communications Program Coordinator who, under general direction, produces publicity materials and content to enhance and promote Sun Devil Athletics through media outlets and internal publicity channels. Provides promotional support for specific sports programs, and internal publicity resources. Adheres to NCAA and Pac-12 rules and regulations, as well as the policies and procedures of the department, the University, and the Arizona Board of Regents.
- Create internal and external publicity and content for Sun Devil Athletics, including assisting in all phases of communications for 3-4 sports and the implementation of any future programs added to Sun Devil Athletics. Job entails being game manager of media relations, statistics and content curation for assigned sports.
- Produce graphics throughout the course of a season, adhering to athletics brand standards to be utilized across SDA’s digital ecosystem.
- Assist in the media relations coordination for NCAA men’s and women’s golf championships in May of 2020-2022 as well as any and all other Pac-12 and NCAA Championships events hosted.
- Collaborate with ASU colleges and the Office of Student-Athlete Development to assist in aggressive publicity of student-athlete’s academic achievements and stories. Includes publicity for GSR, APR, All-Academic awards (Pac-12 and NCAA), NCAA Annual Awards, etc.
- Cultivate content for Sun Devil Athletics sport-specific social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.), which reach hundreds of thousands of Sun Devil fans/alumni/donors on a regular basis.
- Respond to requests from media outlets and provides information to facilitate the coverage of Sun Devil Athletics, which includes the high requests from the Pac-12 Network and the ASU student media.
- Pitch story ideas to media including human interest stories and academic success stories.
- Coordinate interviews with between media members and student-athletes and coaches.
- Maintain archival/records aspect of website for future reference
- Establish and continue positive working relationships with outside media sources
- Perform other duties as assigned by strategic communications leadership.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or closely related field and one year of related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Experience with independent management of a sport in media relations/social media as the main contact.
- One year public relations writing experience and/or sports information experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA bylaws as it relates to publicity and social media.
- Experience in researching and adapting to new public relations practices.
- Experience in multitasking
- Demonstrated knowledge of Statcrew, Golfstat, AP Style, Adobe Create Suite, HTML, MS Office, and inverted-pyramid writing style.
- Knowledge of media placement and preferred background in Statcrew, Golfstat and other NCAA statistical software. Knowledge of content management systems and strong ability to update Photoshop files in timely fashion with understanding of all department brand standards for web and social initiatives.
- Knowledge of the principles, standards and practices of project management.
- Knowledge of web content management systems and practices.
- Evidence of effective communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Ability to handle multiple complex issues through use of good negotiation skills.
- Ability to work in an environment subject to quickly changing priorities and tight deadlines.
- Ability to stimulate changes in individual, institutional, and corporate behaviors to create a more sustainable environment.
- Ability to lead by example in communicating, participating and encouraging support of the institution’s sustainability programs.
- Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse
- Required to stand for varying lengths of time and walk moderate distances to perform work
- Frequent bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 25 pounds
- Regular activities require ability to quickly change priorities, which may include and/or are subject to resolution of conflicts
- Clearly communicate to perform essential functions.
- Schedule to be determined, includes extended hours (nights, weekends and holidays).
- Travel with team required.
- Regular use of standard office equipment including, but not limited to: computer workstation/laptop (keyboard, monitor, mouse), printer, fax, calculator, copier, telephone and associated computer/technology peripherals.
Application Deadline: Must be submitted by 3:00 PM on February 11, 2020
Apply (or request more information): Apply today! Arizona State Univ Athletics Job Application
Latest posts by Megan Gould (see all)
- Charleston City Paper: Seeks Music Intern (Fall 2020) - June 29, 2020
- Charleston City Paper: Seeks Editorial Intern (Fall 2020) - June 29, 2020
- Darkness to Light: Seeks Communications Intern (Fall 2020) - June 29, 2020