With Who: American Humane
Location: Washington, D.C.
Type of Employment: Full-time
Position Summary :
American Humane seeks an ambitious, experienced Director of Communications to work in collaboration with the Chief Marketing Officer to lead the development of American Humane’s communications plan and strategy. The person in this position will be responsible for growing and managing a high-performing team to promote, enhance, expand and protect the brand and reputation of the organization as well as create awareness and revenue generating opportunities. This position is based at American Humane’s national headquarters in Washington, DC.
The National Director, Communications works as a collaborative business partner with the Chief Marketing Officer and executive leadership within the organization to design and implement strategic and tactical marketing and communications initiatives nationally and globally. The Director manages the communications function and oversees the work of the internal communications team as well as outside consultants and vendors.
- In collaboration with the CMO and executive leadership develop and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to enhance AH’s brand identity, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities, and increase visibility with key stakeholder audiences that will allow leadership to cultivate meaningful relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences.
- Identify and monitor emerging issues and potential challenges to the organization; keeping leadership informed of any sensitive issues and working with leadership and staff to develop solutions and respond swiftly and appropriately.
- Educate leadership and staff in recognizing both internal and external communication opportunities and work to develop strategies to capitalize on them.
- Oversee all of the organization’s communications- both print and electronic- including the annual report, all program collateral, AH’s website, news media and social media.
- Manage day-to-day aspects of the communications function- including budgeting, planning, staff development and performance, and vendor relationships and work.
- Serve lead point of contact on media interactions.
- Exercise sound judgement in prioritizing media opportunities; prepare talking points, speeches, presentations and other supporting material as needed.
- Proactively cultivate and manage press relationships.
Essential Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related discipline required, advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible experience leading communications efforts in organizations of similar size and complexity to American Humane.
- Familiarity and understanding of the nonprofit sector strongly preferred.
- Experience managing a team of communication/marketing professionals, as well as cost effective management of outside communication resources.
- Willingness to be “hands-on” and not dependent upon a large staff.
- Excellent communication skills- both written and verbal, with the ability to represent the organization across a broad range of programmatic/priority areas as needed.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills with ability to remain flexible and shift priorities as needed.
- Takes a collaborative and proactive approach in addressing needs of the organization.
- Demonstrates high levels of integrity, sound judgement and discretion.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook; must be comfortable learning and using new technology.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Position is based at American Humane’s National Headquarters in Washington, DC – no exceptions will be made
- Position operates in a standard office environment and must be o.k. with occasional animals in the office
- Travel required; up to 25%
- Long hours are likely and will include some evening and weekend work
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
- Respect for all
- Loyalty to mission
- Honesty, integrity, trust
Apply (or see more job posting information): Submit your application today! American Humane Job Application
Megan GouldMegan Gould
- DART: Careers in Community Organizing for Social Justice - September 17, 2021
- D.C. United: Seeks Manager of Video Content - September 14, 2021
- Parlay Vous: Seeking Sales and Marketing Intern (Fall 2021) - September 10, 2021