Archives For March 2017
CisternYard News is hiring! We are the College’s official, student-run media organization. What does this mean? We are not censored by anyone. All of our content is controlled and produced by students, for students. We maintain a website, with new content daily, plus a feature magazine that comes out 4 times per year. We are looking for creative, motivated students for Fall 2017! We are considering new applications for the following positions:
- Staff Writer
- Staff Photographer
- Staff Designer
- *Design Assistant
- *Creative Director
- *Sports, Features, News, Blogs, and Opinion/Satire Section Editors
- *Managing Editor
*denotes paid position
CisternYard prides itself on the professionalism of our staff. We aren’t interested in writing recycled listicles for a chain-publication that isn’t based in Charleston. We write to the highest standards of journalistic ethics and have received many awards for our work. CYN members have completed internships at the Halsey Institute, Charleston Magazine, Charleston Fashion Week, Charleston Wine + Food Festival, SEWE, Linda Gaunt Communications, Charleston City Paper, The Local Palate, Independent Journal Review, the Volvo Car Open Tennis Tour, The Sports Quotient, Redux, The Post and Courier, the Spoleto Festival USA, Charlie Magazine, the Gibbes Museum…yeah, we could go on. We also have staff members who freelance for other national and local publications.
To apply, visit fall 2017 applications here: https://orgsync.com/34757/forms?category=190979. Applications are open now and will close on April 7. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email Editor in Chief Sig Johannes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Blue Corona is one of the fastest growing online marketing and analytics companies in the country. We help business owners accurately measure and track their advertising and marketing strategies and generate a greater return on investment from their website(s). Our services are in high demand, and we’re always searching for an “A-players” to join our team. We’re currently hiring in Charlotte, NC and the DC area for Account Managers, Digital Marketing Specialists, Marketing Coordinators, Marketing Directors, Paid Search Campaign Managers, Webmasters, Content Marketing Specialists, and Digital Designers. To learn more and to apply, visit https://www.bluecorona.com/careers.
Blue Corona employee and recent COMM graduate, Becca Starkes (class of 2016), invites you to chat with her about her experience at the company. Feel free to email her directly at email@example.com or reach out to her on LinkedIn.
Paid opportunity to create a 2-3 minute video about a young girl, Olivia, with Type 1 diabetes. Her family and friends are running the NY Marathon with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and are committed to raising $30,000. Through a video about her life, they plan to raise awareness.
For more information contact Abby Wallish at firstname.lastname@example.org or 240-278-5894.
Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) is in the customer service business across food, facilities and uniforms, wherever people work, learn, recover, and play. Aramark is looking for an intern for the Fall 2017 semester to work 10-15 hours per week.
- Act as a liaison between Aramark and the student body through peer-to-peer marketing
- Interact with customers while working at various marketing events such as meal plan sign-up tables, dining survey stations, and theme dinners
- Distribute marketing materials to the dining locations and make sure materials posted are up to date (posters, table tents, napkin ads, hours, etc.)
- Lead team of marketing students to sell meal plans
- Provide fresh ideas for social media accounts and meal plan promotions
- Be knowledgeable in the meal plan structure, monetary value, and overall benefits of eating on campus.
- Present information to customers and answer questions regarding dining
- Work with Marketing Manager and Marketing Associate to plan and execute theme meals in dining hall
For more information click here.
The mission of The Purple Tutu is to bring the artistry of ballet to children with Down syndrome. The Purple Tutu holds weekly classes in Mount Pleasant and also participates in community events. They are seeking a student intern for the Fall 2017/Spring 2018 semesters interested in marketing/communications to help with press releases, marketing, and recruiting volunteers/dancers. A rough list of duties is as follows:
-write press releases and distribute them
-reach out to local newspapers, T.V. stations, magazines, blogs, and other news outlets to get coverage of our program
-be in contact with other Down syndrome programs and events (Ex. The Buddy Walk) to get us more connected in the community
-market the program to families with children with Down syndrome for recruitment
-manage the Facebook and Instagram pages
Contact Holland McDowell at email@example.com to apply
From the hiring manager: “We are looking to bring on a student or recent grad interested in a career in science communication, who will work closely with me to share the Center’s research stories with public audiences via social media, web videos, and print & digital writing.”
The S.C. Department of Natural Resources (SCDNR) is looking for an early-career science communicator to join its outreach team. This position will work closely with the Marine Resources Division’s media and communication coordinator to share the division’s research, education, and fisheries management stories with nontechnical audiences.
About SCDNR’s Marine Resources Division: The SCDNR Marine Resources Division’s mission is to serve as the advocate for and steward of the state’s marine resources. Studying everything from algae to tiger sharks, our staff of biologists, fisheries managers, and educators work to protect and conserve South Carolina’s coastal waters and wildlife for future generations. Learn more at DNR.SC.GOV.
Location: This position is based at the SCDNR Marine Resources Center in Charleston, SC.
— Work closely with media coordinator and research staff to produce print, video, audio, and web products for research projects and outreach campaigns as needed
— Assist with long-term and weekly development of social media strategy and content
— Analyze social media metrics and identify opportunities to better engage with audiences
— Report, write, and edit regular stories for S.C. Coastal Resources blog
— Maintain photo/video library and join research staff in the field to update collections as needed
— Bachelor’s degree (or coursework leading to degree) in communication and/or science field(s)
— Excellent writing and copyediting skills, with experience writing about scientific topics for a general audience
— Knowledge of and enthusiasm for marine biology and natural resource science
— Proficiency in writing for social media channels including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter
— Ability to work collaboratively to achieve shared goals and outcomes
— Photography, videography, and/or graphic design experience a plus
Hours/Pay: Hours are flexible but will not exceed 40 hours/week. Pay is $10/hr.
Contact: Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, three samples of writing and/or visual work (published preferred), and three professional references to Erin Weeks at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Science Communication Specialist” in the subject line. Application deadline is April 7, 2017.
Coastal Island Properties LLC of Keller Williams Charleston-Mt Pleasant is looking
for an intern to help with social media, marketing, and communications to help expand our growing
business and keep up with the demands of how people search for real estate.
The time commitment is 7-14 hours/week for the semester. This is a remote position and you will
have the opportunity to have weekly FaceTime meetings. Flexible working schedule involving mostly
early morning and late afternoon/evenings.
Assist in maintaining all Lead Generation systems including:
Social Media Marketing; Facebook pages, Linked-in, Twitter, blogging posts, video posts
Email marketing campaigns
Advertising and target niche marketing – millennials/first time home buyers, relocation buyers/sellers,
second homes, investment properties, retirees
Website; creating content, videos, blogs, community info; utilize SEO to optimize traffic
Coordinate scheduling of videos; posts on youtube, team website, other…
-Must be organized, creative, computer/Social Media savvy with excellent writing/editing skills
-Social media experience with Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Pinterest, Reddit, Snapchat
-Must be willing to work from home and communicate via phone, email and/or FaceTime, while still
-Photography skills are a plus!
Contact Desiree Maurer at email@example.com to apply!
For the 2017 Spring semester, Charleston Shucker Company is looking for an intern in their marketing/advertising/social media departments. The individual hired for this position will need string critical thinking skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills and knowledge of web and social media.
Responsibilities include/ but not limited to:
- Research wedding and corporate gift magazines and blogs and prepare a press kit with our products to send out to publications for possible inclusion.
- Research Holiday Gift Giving Guides (print, online and TV).
- Create/Design a product catalog or spec sheet for wholesale retail customers.
- Writing pitch articles for editorial in publications.
- Research SkyMall Airline magazine contacts for potential inclusion.
- The Charleston Shucker Co. will be going through a total website conversion in Jan/Feb/March. This will be an opportunity to learn and contribute ideas to website improvement.
- Drafting/writing content for Business Facebook and Instagram posts.
- Writing content for Mailchimp customer emails.
- Contact list of potential southeastern retailer for placement in their stores. Follow up.
To apply contact Lindsey Ballenger at firstname.lastname@example.org; 843 819 9070
Please visit: https://apply.whitehouse.gov/intern to submit your Summer 2017 application.A ll application materials, including recommendations, must be submitted on or before ***March 31, 2017 *** at 11:59 p.m. (EST).
Applicants must be U.S. citizens, must be 18 years of age on or before May 30, 2017, and must meet at least one of the following criteria to apply:
- Are currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program at a college, community college, or university (two-to-four year institution)
- Have graduated from an undergraduate or graduate degree program at a college, community college, or university (two-to-four year institution) no more than two years before the internship program start date.
- Are a veteran of the United States Armed Forces who possesses a high school diploma or its equivalent and has served on active duty–for any length of time–in the two years preceding the internship program start date.
The Direct Action & Research Training (DART) Center will hold an online information session on Wednesday, March 29 at 7 pm to discuss careers in community organizing with CofC students and alumni interested in uniting congregations and working for social, economic and racial justice.
RSVP at www.thedartcenter.org/
DART hires and trains organizers to build organizations that have successfully addressed issues including:
* Plugging the school-to-prison pipeline
* Reining in predatory lending practices
* Expanding access to primary health and dental care
* Prioritizing funding for affordable housing and job training
* Education reform in low-performing public schools
* Fighting for immigrants’ rights
Positions start August 14, 2017 in Richmond, VA, Louisville, KY, Topeka, KS, Evansville, IN and Daytona Beach, Ft. Lauderdale and St. Petersburg, FL.
Starting salary $34,000/year + benefits.