Communications & Events Intern – Summer/Fall 2018
Organization: Lowcountry Local First
Term: Part-time and flexible. Ideal term length June – December 2018.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Start Date: Flexible start date of June 4, 2018
Lowcountry Local First (LLF) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization changing the model of economic development to one that is anchored in local ownership allowing us to build opportunity for all and to celebrate the unique place that makes the Lowcountry home.
LLF has a membership base of more than 500 companies across all business sectors and ranging from sole-proprietorships up to 250+ employees. Our work is organized under two initiatives, Good Business and Good Farming.
We’re looking for someone who’s smart, responsible, fun, creative, and a self-starter that works well in a fast-paced environment to assist the Director Marketing & Communications and other staff members. The main campaigns and programs that will take place during the summer / fall internship include a Move Your Money Week (June 4 – 8), Good Business Summit (Sept 20) and Buy Local Month (Nov 15 – Dec 15).
The Intern will contribute to:
- Project administration
- Communications including blog posts and social media
- Event and campaign marketing (utilizing Mailchimp)
- Data management
- Website updates (WordPress platform)
- Event logistics and production including Member Mixers and Good Business Summit, as well as other events as needed.
Skills & Qualifications
- Interest in local economic development and alternative business models preferred.
- Excellent inter-personal skills and an energy that attracts others. Intern must be able to communicate effectively and professionally, and be comfortable reaching out via email, phone and in-person to represent Lowcountry Local First.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Self-motivated and self-regulated.
- Extreme attention for detail and organization.
- Strong computer skills required, including Microsoft Office. Student must be proficient in Microsoft Excel. WordPress capabilities highly desired. MailChimp or other email marketing experience a plus but not required.
- Ability to appropriately and effectively represent the organization on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
Schedule & Other
- Intern will report to the Director of Marketing and Communications
- Flexible part-time schedule of 12-20 hours / week, typically falling Monday through Friday, between 9am to 5pm, with occasional special events on weekday evenings (no more than 2/ month)
- Internship for school credit encouraged, but not required. This is an unpaid position.
- Gain valuable nonprofit experience with an organization named 2010-2012 Best Local Cause by Charleston City Paper; 2016 Best Promotional Video and Best Non-traditional Marketing Campaign by the Charleston AMA; and 2015 Small Business Ally of the Year by the SC Office of the U.S. Small Business Administration.
- Work with a great team of professionals. Meet the LLF crew.
- Work in a space described an “open, beautiful, vibrant space designed to bring local entrepreneurs together,” by Charleston City Paper.
- Meet and interact with LLF member businesses (500+ local companies) and Local Works coworking community
Internship will be located at the Lowcountry Local First office and Local Works coworking space at 1630-2 Meeting St, Charleston, SC 29405 on the Upper Peninsula. Must provide your own laptop, and transportation for occasional off-site tasks/meetings.
Email cover letter and resume to Jordan Amaker, Director of Marketing and Communications, at email@example.com with “Communications and Event Intern – Your Name” in subject heading. Please send PDF files only (no Word docs, please). Feel free to share your LinkedIn, Twitter, blog, a video – whatever lets us know who you are and what you’re all about. NO PHONE CALLS, PLEASE.
Cierra SeidCierra Seid
- Media Relations Internship with Milwaukee Brewers - December 20, 2018
- Research Scholars Opportunity with University of Delaware - December 13, 2018
- HubSpot Inbound Marketing Intern - December 13, 2018