header image

Division Spotlight: Dee Cole

Posted by: Jennifer Stevens | May 28, 2014 | No Comment |

deecole

Dee Cole, Human Resources

Briefly describe your role.

I’m the Associate Director of Human Resources. I oversee the recruitment, classification, compensation, employee relations, worker’s compensation, performance management, office operations, and data entry areas of the Human Resources office.

What is the function of your department?

To serve the employees at the College of Charleston by providing accurate and timely services associated with benefits, recruitment, training, discipline, evaluation and classification and compensation.

How long have you been working at the College?

I started here in February of 1997, but I attended the College starting in 1977. Additionally, my husband was employed in the Theater department from 1987 until 1998, so I have been a part of the school for a very long time.

What brought you to the College?

My family returned from Germany when my father was stationed at Shaw AFB, in Sumter, SC during my sophomore year of high school. When it came time to attend college I picked the College of Charleston for its size, beauty, reputation and history. As a military brat, I valued the courtesy, stability, and tradition I found here.

What do you like most about your job?

As an English major – I find evaluating, writing, and editing position descriptions satisfying. Position description creation requires interaction with supervisors and employees and gives me an opportunity to use my writing skills to produce an effective and appropriate job description, so that we can hire and/or retain high quality employees.

What are some of your favorite memories from the College?

I like to remember the College from my student days – when the Lightsey Center where I now work was a Sears department store, the Robert Scott Small building was a library, the Addlestone Library was a high school, Craig Dorm was new, the Simons Center was not yet finished, and the New Science Building was my dormitory. We have grown so much.

What are your hobbies and interests?

I am a ravenous reader and I love to walk with my husband in beautiful places like Charles Towne Landing and Magnolia plantation. I hope everyone knows that College of Charleston employees can get into Magnolia Plantation for free with their college ID cards. If you haven’t been to these places you are really missing out on the beauty and history of our area.

What is something that your colleagues would be surprised to learn about you?

Many people would be surprised to know that as a student I was once in a Center Stage Production at the Simons Center.

under: Division Spotlight
Tags: , , ,

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories