header image

Division Spotlight: Jeremy Clement

Posted by: Jennifer Stevens | July 18, 2013 | No Comment |

jeremyclement

Jeremy Clement, Information Technology

Briefly describe your role.

I handle or oversee financial planning and budgeting work for IT.  I also serve as the administrative lead for all of our various groups.  I provide planning, estimating, budgeting, and administrative support to IT and other faculty and staff who might have an interest or responsibility associated with any College IT contracts.  I do all of this with the help and support of a small team of incredibly talented temporary and student employees.

Basically, I’m the number cruncher for IT at the College.  I would also consider this role a “jack of all trades” when it comes to finance or administrative needs in IT.  I am not a techie, though I have been forced to learn more and more as I go!

What is the function of your department?

IT is all things technology at this institution.  We try to serve the entire student, faculty, and staff communities of the College by supplying information and resources to accommodate their technology needs.  My IT administration division supports the finance, planning, and administration needs of IT.

How long have you been working at the College?

I started in January 2008, so five years and change.  I’ve been in my current role since 2010.

What brought you to the College?

I got my undergrad at the College and stuck around Charleston with my wife, who is a native.  I’ve always had a special place in my heart for this place.  When I started pursuing my master’s, I wanted to get a secure job that would allow me to grow and learn as I earned my degree.  I was offered the Financial Coordinator job, and it was a great fit.  I also have a passion for teaching; being at the College allows me to do so when the opportunity arises.

What do you like most about your job?

I love the people, the community, and the ability to affect positive change.  I love this place, and I feel blessed to be surrounded by an awesome team; not only in IT, but the entire campus community.  I enjoy giving back to this institution, and I appreciate the trust and respect I’ve earned and been given by my peers and colleagues.

What are some of your favorite memories from the College?

I used to take my lunches on one of the benches facing Glebe Street across from the hot dog vendor every day when I went to school here.  I have fond memories of sitting there with a favorite book and a dog watching the world go by.  More recently, I’ve had some great picnics in the Cistern Yard with my wife and little girl.  And my wife and I got to see a Spoleto event in the Cistern a couple of years ago – an incredible South American vocalist – that was very cool.

What are your hobbies and interests?

I read a lot.  I love studying the Word and other spiritually-based books, but I also spend considerable time reading epic fantasy books (aka Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones, etc.).  I love swimming and leisure time with my family most of all. We have a family lake house in Virginia that we get up to a couple of times a year when we’re lucky.  I am also involved in the youth ministry, in a financial freedom ministry, and recently I’ve taken on a volunteer project manager role for Seacoast West Ashley.  When I have time outside of that stuff, I love traveling/road trips, cooking, fine wines, movies. I could go on, but I won’t bore you further.

What is something that your colleagues would be surprised to learn about you?

I love teaching and coaching others.  I’ve been working with/teaching fifth to eighth graders on Sundays for years.  It’s a bit like communicating with a foreign species!  I’ve also had the opportunity to teach a few courses for the Hospitality & Tourism Management department here at the College over the last few years.  When I joined the College, I’d hoped that I’d have such an opportunity. It’s been really rewarding and much more challenging than I’d have ever anticipated.

under: Business Affairs, Division Spotlight
Tags: , ,

Leave a response -

Your response:

Categories