header image

Under Construction

Posted by: Jennifer Stevens | February 22, 2012 | No Comment |

Historic Buildings at the College Undergo Renovation

In August 2011, renovation of the historic three-and-a-half story Greek Revival style Charleston house at 72 George Street began. The home was originally built by John King in 1837. According to Jonathan Poston, author of Buildings of Charleston, “The College was responsible for shifting the house a full 90 degrees to make room for the Physicians Memorial Auditorium in 1972.  The move was made after the building was braced with steel crossbeams and adjusted every few feet to prevent cracking.”

The building received small additions between 1888 and 1902. They were removed prior to the building’s renovation in 1972. Removal of interior walls during the current renovation revealed crudely constructed brick walls. It is assumed that the walls were hastily rebuilt after the earthquake of 1886 that damaged other structures at the College. The new exterior stucco color was selected based on some small areas where the original stucco color was visible prior to starting the current renovation.

The current renovation was designed by AJ Architects and is being contracted by Mashburn Construction. The building will be outfitted with new plumbing, electrical, and HVAC systems, refinished hardwood floors, lead/asbestos abatement, restored and operational winders, new exterior operational shutters, an ADA accessible exterior ramp and first floor bathroom, a conference/media room on the first floor, and offices throughout the remainder of the building.

Renovations to the building’s sister – 74 George – are expected to begin next month.

Renovation is expected to wrap up in April 2012. English faculty members will occupy 72 George once it is completed in time for the Fall 2012 semester.

Another renovation project at 5 College Way is underway. Built in 1826, the building was formerly a part of the Bolles Female Academy. The College acquired the building in the late 19th century and converted the space into offices for faculty and staff.

The interior of the building is undergoing full renovation. Major structural deficiencies were encountered and corrected. The exterior of the building will feature a new roof, paint, stucco, windows, and doors as needed. The existing restroom and storage area located on the second floor piazza have been removed.

Renovation at 5 College Way kicked off in March 2011. Construction is expected to complete in April 2012. The building will house faculty and staff from the English and Communication departments, the building will be home to the College’s CrazyHorse writing workshop under the direction of author and professor Bret Lott.

under: Business Affairs
Tags: ,

Leave a response -

Your response:


Skip to toolbar