BGS Team

Faculty and Staff Leaders

Dr. Brooke Falk Permenter
Faculty Fellow and Director of Student Engagement
Email

Welcome to the College of Charleston Honors College!  As an alumna, I can assure you of one thing: you made the right choice.  I received my B.A. in Art History from the College of Charleston Honors College in 2006, and then I completed my PhD at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. My research focuses primarily on late medieval religious conflict as it is represented in fifteenth-century manuscripts and printed books, but my true passion is using art history to teach students how to understand the world and its history through vision. I teach Beyond George Street with Dr. Cavalli, Colloquia, and Advanced Studies courses in the Honors College, and I also advise students and organize lots of events for our living-learning community in Berry Hall and beyond. The Honors College has been a hugely rewarding part of my life, and I think it is the perfect place to spend my days – working, learning, and growing with all of you!

Dr. Jennifer Cavalli
Advising Fellow and Assistant Director of Student Engagement
Email

I hold a PhD in History from Indiana University and specialize in renaissance and early modern Europe. My research interests include female friendship and spirituality, the intersection of gender, religious institutions, and female authority, history of emotions, and court culture in early modern Italy. After teaching in history, honors, and first year experience on the other side of the country, I joined the CofC Honors teaching team in 2016 and have not looked back since! I do advising and teach Colloquia in the Honors College and am excited to be teaching Beyond George Street with my long-time teaching partner. I spend my free time on the beach, gardening, cooking, and spending time with my husband and pets.

Dr. Elizabeth Meyer-Bernstein
Dean of the Honors College and Associate Professor of Biology
Email

Meyer-B Bio PicI am the Dean of the Honors College, an Associate Professor in Biology, and a faculty member in the Neuroscience Program. I have been at the College of Charleston for 19 years as a faculty member in the Department of Biology and previously served as the Associate Dean of Honors and the Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities for six years. I am also a CofC parent as my daughter is a junior here at the College.  I enjoy outdoor pursuits such as boating, gardening and relaxing with my family.

Dr. Bryan Ganaway
Associate Dean of the Honors College, Director of Academic Advising for the Honors College, and Director of the International Scholars Program
Email

I received my Ph.D. in Modern European History from the University of Illinois in 2003.  I publish on Modern Germany and the world wars. I teach several colloquia in the Honors College and upper-level classes for History and International Studies. My two daughters (Mila 16, Lydia 13) keep me young and hopeful, but they seem to have the unfortunate side effect of making me go bald at an exponentially increasing rate.

Dr. Jesslyn Collins-Frohlich
Director of Nationally Competitive Awards and Instructor in English

I received my PhD in English from the University of Kentucky. My literary research focuses on race, gender and rights movements as depicted in nineteenth-century literature by women and Native Americans. I also dedicate a significant amount of time to researching and publishing on service learning and how to create courses that help students become effective writers and engaged citizens. At the College of Charleston, I put these research interests to work as an Honors Faculty Fellow and Senior Instructor in the English department as well as the Director of the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards. I teach Honors Academic Writing as well as a number of literature courses. I spend my free time training and riding my horse Olivia or enjoying the sun and sand at Folly Beach.

Email

Isabelle Morris
Graduate Assistant for the Honors First Year Experience and MFA Candidate in Creative Writing

I am from Atlanta, Georgia, and I’m a recent graduate from Georgia College & State University. I am starting the joint English master’s program at the College of Charleston and the Citadel. My literature interests include southern lit and adaptation. I am excited to continue my education at a new school in a new city, while being a graduate assistant for Honors FYE and working with a bunch of new students!

Elizabeth Quarles

I am a Class of 2021 College of Charleston graduate from Atlanta, GA and will be in the joint literature masters program with CofC and The Citadel this fall. I’ve been a CofC peer facilitator in the past and worked in FYE for three years. I’m super excited to get to know all of you and love working with students! I have also volunteered in the past with the CofC English department and LGBTQIA+ organizations on campus.

Peer Leaders

Peer Facilitators

TUESDAY @ 9:25

Tita Curtin – Section 01, BERRY 104

Howdy! My name is Tita Curtin and I am a Sophomore majoring in biology and public health from Houston, Texas. I’m also on the equestrian team here at the college! When I have some down time, I can probably be found at Folly Beach or trying to head to the mountains for a little bit of hiking. I can’t wait to meet all of you! Go Cougs!!

Olivia Panasko – Section 10, BERRY 103

Hello, my name is Olivia Panasko! I am a Junior studying psychology and women and gender studies. This summer I was a barista at a coffee shop and an intern for a LGBTQ+ program at a hospital. In my free time I love to make collages, read, and be a cat mom to my wonderful kitten, Stevie. My favorite activities to do in Charleston include walking around the neighborhoods downtown, thrifting, and getting to enjoy the outdoors with my friends. I am very excited to be a peer facilitator this year and get to know the incoming honors students! Go Cougars!

TUESDAY @ 10:50

Ha Ho – Section 02, BERRY 104

Hi, my name is Ha and I am currently a sophomore at the College! Currently, I am an international studies major with focus on Asian countries. I am a part of the Bonner Leadership Program which focuses on civic engagement with the Charleston community. In my free time, I enjoy playing video games with my friends. I hope to have a great year with everyone!

Kathryn Hollingsworth – Section 11, BERRY 10

Welcome! My name is Kathryn Hollingsworth and I’m a senior from Myrtle Beach, SC. I am studying Middle Grades Education with a concentration in ELA and Social Studies. BGS partnerships with local schools have provided me with invaluable career insight. Volunteering with Sanders Clyde school and St. Patrick’s church has helped me become a part of the larger Charleston community. Some of my favorite ways to feel connected to the Lowcountry are crabbing, kayaking, and collecting shark teeth. I can’t wait to meet your class!

TUESDAY @ 12:15

Caitlyn Costa – Section 03, BERRY 104

Hi! My name is Caitlyn Costa and I’m a Sophomore studying Biology and Classics on the pre-med track! Some things I enjoy are Chinese food, walking around the city, exchanging letters with friends, and headache-inducing electronica. I’m thrilled to be a Peer Facilitator in the Beyond George Street program and I look forward to helping guide students through their first year at CofC!

Lauren Ollis – Section 12, BERRY 103

Hey everyone! My name is Lauren Ollis! I am a senior from Fairfax, Virginia, majoring in international business with a minor in Marketing and Italian studies. Aside from being a peer facilitator, I am in the Business Fraternity, Phi Chi Theta, the Italian Club, and the Schottland Scholars. In my free time I love to cook, go to the beach, and watch bad reality TV. I also love to travel, and I have been on two study abroad programs and I am planning on doing more things in the future! I am so excited to meet you all and help you get to know Charleston! See you soon Class of 2025!!

Tuesday @ 1:40

Gabrielle Volz – Section 04, BERRY 104

Hey everyone! My name is Gabrielle Volz, and I am a junior at the College of Charleston from Hilton Head Island. I am currently a Psychology major and a Spanish minor with an interest in exploring careers in mental health counseling. My interests in Psychology have led me to join a research team at MUSC working on a brain stimulation study, along with past research projects that have solidified my passion for psychology. I love to travel and am excited to study abroad in the future to further develop Spanish as a second language! In my free time, you’ll find me at the beach, playing tennis with friends, or waitressing at a local Charleston restaurant. I look forward to meeting all of you soon!

Sam Andritsch – Section 13, BERRY 103

Hey Everyone! My name is Sam Andritsch, and I am a Junior in the Honors College from Oconomowoc, WI. I am majoring in Public Health and minoring in Geoinformatics, and I plan to pursue a career in epidemiology in the future. On campus I am involved in Women in STEM, the Public Health Society, and have been a recent recipient of a SURF research grant. In my free time I love to go to the beach, read, and explore Charleston. I can’t wait to meet the class of 2025!

Tuesday @ 3:05

Sadie Wright – Section 05, BERRY 104

Hi everyone! I’m a Junior in the business school here at The College. I’m from Alabama, but I’ve spent the last two summers working at camp in Texas! In addition to being a peer facilitator, I serve on the executive board of my sorority and work for a wedding planning company here in Charleston. Some things that make me happy include: coffee shops, walks, sunsets, tacos, Taylor Swift, and kind people who let me pet their dogs! Charleston is my favorite place in the world and I can’t wait for it to become yall’s too!!

Emma Langan – Section 14, Berry 103

Hi everyone! My name is Emma Langan and I am from Fort Mill, South Carolina. I am a sophomore at the College majoring in public health with a minor in medical humanities! My goal is to become a certified nuclear medicine technologist after graduation. Aside from being a peer facilitator, I volunteer with Reading Partners and most recently conducted research with the Women’s Health Research Team about COVID-19 and its mental health impacts! When I’m not in class I love to go to the beach, work out with my friends, and shop for cute plants! I look forward to welcoming y’all into the wonderful Honors College!

THURSDAY @ 9:25

Sydney Gonzales – Section 06, BERRY 104

Hello, everyone! I am a Senior from Sumter, SC majoring in Political Science with minors in Spanish & Psychology. I want to use the skills CofC has taught me to improve public education, fight climate change, and challenge injustices in South Carolina. Therefore, I work with CofC’s chapter of Charleston Area Justice MinistryCitizens Climate Lobby, Charleston Climate CoalitionStudent Government Association, and the Honor College’s Scholar-Citizen Initiative to help tackle these issues and many more. Outside of my activism, I am a part of CofC’s Fandoms United club, where I get to geek out about all my favorite things. Also, I have been a PF for two years now, and am happy to add one more…See you soon!

Andrea Kimpson – Section 18, Online Synchronous

Hello everyone! My name is Andrea Kimpson and I am a Junior here in the Honors College from Columbia, South Carolina. I am double-majoring in International Studies and Economics, as well as working toward a concentration in Latin America and the Caribbean and a minor in Political Science. On campus, I am involved with the Honors College Outreach Committee and the Scholar-Citizen Initiative. In my freetime, you can find me reading, spending way too much time on TikTok, and listening to music. I am excited for a great semester and cannot wait to meet you all! Welcome to CofC!

Thursday @ 10:50

Beck Smith – Section 07, BERRY 104

Hey guys! My name is Beck Smith, and I am a sophomore at the Honors College, from Charleston, SC. I am currently undecided, so no worries if you’re not sure what you want to major in, but I’m leaning towards an anthropology and psychology double major. Besides being a peer facilitator I volunteer with Trident Literary Association doing GED tutoring, and I love sculpting. I spend almost all of my free time surfing at Folly or Isle of Palms, so if you need me you know where to look! I can’t wait to get to know you all and have a great fall semester!

Nikki Tinnerello – Section 15, Berry 103

Hello! My name is Nikki Tinnerello and I am a Biology major and Spanish minor. My dream is to attend medical school and pursue a career in Pediatric Endocrinology! I am type one diabetic myself, so this goal is something I am very passionate about. I am from Wilmington, North Carolina where I love riding my bike to the beach, boat days with my family and rollerblading with my friends. Can’t wait to be a part of the team and to meet everyone soon!

THURSDAY @12:15

Liz Lynch-Gadaleta – Section 08, BERRY 104

I’m Liz (she/her/hers)! I am a Senior in the Honors College from Rhode Island double majoring in History and International Studies with a concentration in Europe and a minor in Spanish. Outside of being a PF, I am the Vice President of the Charleston 40 Tour Guide Association, a member of a sorority, and in Cheese Club. I spent this past summer working in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as a Community Service Coordinator for Youthworks and ate a LOT of good food. I’m a huge Taylor Swift fan and love to cook, run, and read. Can’t wait to meet you and jump into the semester!

Jacob Mossbrook – Section 16, Berry 103

Hi everyone! My name is Jacob Mossbrook, and I am double majoring in Historic Preservation and Studio Art here at the College of Charleston. I am a sophomore in the Honors College, and I am originally from Spartanburg, South Carolina. I hope to head to grad school after I graduate to pursue a degree and career in architecture. As you can probably tell, I love art and design, and I hope to incorporate that into a fun semester of BGS. I have worked and volunteered as a tutor and student mentor in the past and will do my best to help everyone succeed. Aside from being a Peer Facilitator, I am currently involved in a project on campus to redesign the landscape surrounding a new solar pavilion that was added earlier this year by Rivers Green. I am excited to get to know the class of 2025, and I’m looking forward to a great new school year!

THURSDAY @ 1:40

Rylie Talmadge – Section 09, BERRY 104

Hey there! My name is Rylie Talmadge, and I am a junior from Knoxville, TN. I am a Marine Biology major with minors in Psychology and Environmental and Sustainability Studies. My passion for all-things ocean has led to my more adventurous activities outside of Peer Facilitating including, scuba diving, sailing, backpacking the AT, and triathlons. If I am not somewhere in the water or on the trail, you can find me around campus as a Mentor and Tutor for REACH, LIT in the Outdoors Club, or researching Spotted Sea Trout in Grice Marine Laboratory. I can’t wait for another fantastic year and look forward to meeting you all this fall!

Hannah Lanier – Section 17, BERRY 103

Hi everyone and welcome to Charleston! My name is Hannah Lanier. I am a sophomore majoring in History and Secondary Education, with a minor in Spanish. On campus, I work with the Center for Student Learning as a Spanish tutor and am a member of Sigma Kappa. In my free time I love to read, bake, and run. I can’t wait to meet you all!