BGS Team

Faculty and Staff Leaders

Dr. Trisha Folds-Bennett
Dean of the Honors College and Associate Professor of Psychology
Email

I received my Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in PsycDr. Folds-Bennethology from Wake Forest University and my PhD in Developmental Psychology from UNC-Chapel Hill. I have taught at the College of Charleston since 1990 and have been in the Honors College since 2006, first as Associate Dean and now as Dean. My research has focused primarily on understanding how the mind works and how it develops from early childhood to adulthood. I enjoy teaching courses in developmental psychology, cross-cultural psychology and community-based research. I’ve had the pleasure of taking students to France and Honduras, as well as to research conferences in the United States. In the Honors College, I helped to establish the first-year program, the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards, the William Aiken Fellows Society, and most recently the E-LLC. I love my role in Honors and look forward to working with all of you!

Dr. Brooke Falk Permenter
Faculty Fellow and Director of Student Engagement
Email

I received my B.A. in Art History from the College of Charleston Honors College in 2006. I completed my PhD in Art History at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. My research focuses primarily on late medieval religious conflict as it is represented in fifteenth-century manuscripts and printed books, but my true passion is using art history to teach students how to understand the world and its history through vision. I teach  Colloquia and Advanced Studies courses in the Honors College, and I also organize lots of events for our living-learning community in Berry Hall and beyond. The Honors College has been a hugely rewarding part of my life, and I think it is the perfect place to spend my days – working, learning, and growing with all of you!

Mr. Robby Maynor
Assistant Director of Student Engagement
Email
I received my M.A. in English from the joint program at the College of Charleston and the Citadel in 2017. As Assistant Director of Student Engagement, I assist in the coordination of BGS and other on-campus activities for Honors students. I also direct the Honors Engaged program, which fosters meaningful partnerships between Honors students and the Charleston community. I am looking forward to welcoming another group of students to the Honors College, the broader CofC campus, and  the greater Charleston community.

Dr. Elizabeth Meyer-Bernstein
Associate Dean of the Honors College, Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities, and Associate Professor of Biology
Email

Meyer-B Bio PicI am an Associate Professor in Biology and a faculty member in the Neuroscience Program. I enjoy outdoor pursuits such as boating, gardening and relaxing with my family.

Dr. Bryan Ganaway
Faculty Fellow, Director of Academic Advising for the Honors College, and Director of the International Scholars Program
Email

I received my Ph.D. in Modern European History from the University of Illinois in 2003.  I publish on Modern Germany and the world wars. I teach Honors Western Civilization and upper-level classes for History and International Studies. My two young daughters (Mila 9, Lydia 6) keep me young and hopeful, but they seem to have the unfortunate side effect of making me go bald at an exponentially increasing rate.

Dr. Jesslyn Collins-Frohlich

Director of Nationally Competitive Awards and Instructor in English
Email

Peer Leaders

TUESDAY @ 9:25

Haleigh Ferro
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 9:25

Hey guys! My name is Haleigh Ferro, and I’m so excited to meet you all! I’m a senior Honors student from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I’m a Biology major and a Spanish minor, and it is my dream to attend medical school. I was a Peer Facilitator as a sophomore, and it feels great to be back for a second time before I graduate. In addition to working in BGS, I am a volunteer EMT for College of Charleston Fire and EMS, work at MUSC as a student researcher, and serve as a Peer Mentor for Health Professions Advising. During my time at the College I have also had the opportunity to travel to Spain for 4 weeks and to shadowing doctors while doing some exploring! I hope you enjoy your time at CofC as much as I have, and I’m looking forward to getting to know you!

Belle Tolmich
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 9:25

Hey everyone! My name is Belle Tolmich and I’m a sophomore at the College! I am from outside of Atlanta, Georgia (a true Southern Belle). Currently I’m majoring in political science with a concentration in public policy! The dream after graduating is to run campaigns and hopefully end up working in the White House, but, we’ll see where life takes me! I’d be content with any job that helps make people’s lives better! Besides being a peer facilitator I am involved in the Chi Omega sorority and I work part-time at a local elementary school. You will never find someone who loves this college and this city more than this girl! I hope you all can love it as much as I do! So excited to get to help welcome you guys!

TUESDAY @ 10:50

Caroline Greenblatt
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 10:50

Hey Y’all! I’m a current junior from Dallas, Texas, majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing, and minoring in sociology. In the future, I hope to get a doctorate in English and teach high school! In addition to being a peer facilitator, I am also involved in Kappa Delta Sorority and the Charleston 40 tour guides.. In my free time, I love to read books, bake cakes and other goodies, and cheer on the Dallas Cowboys! My life long goals are to own a 40-acre ranch and open a no-kill dog shelter on it and to become a novelist!

Lauren Ollis
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 10:50

Hey everyone! My name is Lauren Ollis! I am a sophomore from Fairfax, Virginia, majoring in international business and marketing with a minor in Italian studies. Aside from being a peer facilitator, I am in the Honors Sustainability Cohort and the Italian Club. In my free time I love to cook, go to the beach, and watch bad reality TV. I also love to travel, and I have been on a study abroad trip and am planning on doing more in the future! I am so excited to meet you all and help you get to know Charleston! See you soon Class of 2023!!

TUESDAY @ 12:15

Erika Golden
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 12:15

Hey everyone! My name is Erika, and I’m a junior from the Boston, Massachusetts area. I am majoring in Political Science and minoring in International Studies, with a dream to work for the State Department someday. Aside from being a peer facilitator, I am also the vice president of Students Demand Action at CofC, secretary of the African Studies club, and I previously conducted research on campus about how one’s politics affect their view on the severity of climate change. In my free time, you’ll find me hanging out at the local coffee shops, walking around the city, or soaking up the sun at the beach. I can’t wait to welcome the class of 2023!

Piper Horel
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 12:15

Tuesday @ 1:40

Emma Burton
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 1:40

Caroline Reece
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 1:40

Hey everyone! My name is Caroline Reece, and I am a junior from Columbia, South Carolina. I am a Political Science major with a minor in Environmental and Sustainability studies, hoping to go into environmental law. Other than being a peer facilitator, I am an Honors Engaged liaison, I have an internship with Plastic Pollution Solutions in the Charleston area and I am the President of Students Demand Action on campus. I am looking forward to getting to know the class of 2023!

Tuesday @ 3:05

Madi Methvin
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 3:05

Hi everyone! My name is Madi Methvin, and I’m a Junior in the Honors college from Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Currently I’m majoring in Political Science and minoring in Psychology and Philosophy, with aspirations of going to law school. In addition to being a Peer Facilitator I work with the Honor’s College’s Scholar-Citizen Initiative as their communications chair and am involved in the Alliance for Planet Earth club here on campus! When I’m not in the library I love painting on my back porch, spending time in my garden, frequenting local coffee shops and binging the last Crash Course series. I can’t wait to meet you guys! Welcome class of 2023!

Mikayla Suggs
Peer Facilitator, Tuesday 3:05

Hi y’all! My name is Mikayla Suggs, and I am a Junior in the Honors College from Florence, South Carolina. Right now, I am majoring in Special Education with a concentration in mental disabilities and minoring in Music. This summer I get to follow this dream by interning at a summer camp specially made for students with special needs! After teaching for a few years, I plan to go back to school and get my doctorate in Music Therapy to study the effects of music on the brain. Other organizations that I am a part of on campus are student ministry, Greek Life, and Teaching Fellows. I also have an amazing tutoring job that came from being a part of Honors Engaged! Besides working or being at school, you can always find me binge watching a Netflix series or looking at the kitties at Pounce. I am so excited to take on this next year with the class of 2023!

THURSDAY @ 9:25

Mary Britt McDonald
Peer Facilitator, Thursday 9:25

Hello everyone! My name is Mary Britt McDonald, and I am a junior in the Honors College from Stevens Point, Wisconsin. I am a Biochemistry and International Studies double major hoping to pursue a career in medicine. Study abroad has provided me with several memorable experiences including visiting Ghana to learn about development and democracy with the International Scholars Program here, taking a Jane Austen summer course at Magdalen College, Oxford, and living with a French host family while studying at IAU College in Aix-en-Provence this past spring. This summer, I began analytical chemistry research on prebiotic peptides in Dr. Forsythe’s lab. Running, cooking, exploring Charleston with friends, and savoring a good cuppa tea are among my favorite pastimes. This is my second year with the BGS team and I am eager to welcome the Class of 2023 to CofC!

Nina Hayes
Peer Facilitator, Thursday 9:25

Hey! My name is Nina Hayes and I’m a sophomore in the Honors College from Amherst Massachusetts . I am a double major in Finance and Economics. Besides being a PF, I am involved in my sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, I am an officer for the Women in Business club, and I’m on the club volleyball team. When I’m not at school, I work as a summer camp counselor in the Downer state forest in Vermont. In my free time, you can find me at the beach, watching some Boston sports, or hanging with friends. I can’t wait for you guys to come and see how great our beautiful school is!!

Thursday @ 10:50

Jake Brown
Peer Facilitator, Thursday 10:50

Hello everyone!! My name is Jake Brown and I am a junior from Connecticut. I am currently doubling majoring in Spanish and Biology and double minoring in Linguistics and Political Science. Besides being a PF for the College, I am part of Student Government Association and serve on the Honor Board. I love to travel and spent last semester abroad in Spain. I also love to watch and play sports, especially soccer; go to the beach; and just have a good time with friends. I look forward to meeting the Class of 2023 and helping them throughout their first semester!!

Hannah Collins
Peer Facilitator, Thursday 10:50

Hey y’all! I’m Hannah Collins and I am a junior in the Honors College from the small town of Conway, South Carolina. I am majoring in Exercise Science and minoring in Chemistry, with the hopes of attending medical school in the future to pursue Orthopedics. Aside from being a PF, I serve on the executive boards of AED (CofC’s pre-health honors fraternity), as Co-Service Chair, and the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, as Vice President. I am also involved in conducting research, I volunteer in MUSC’s Orthopedic unit, and in the past, I served on the College’s Student Government Association. In my spare time you can find me de-stressing at the beach or in the gym, reading any book, binge-watching crime shows, or just enjoying the beautiful city of Charleston. I am so excited to meet the class of 2023 this fall, and I hope to help foster a love for the College within you!

THURSDAY @12:15

Sydney Gonzales
Peer Facilitator, Thursday 12:15

Hello, I am Sydney from Sumter, SC! I am a Sophomore majoring in Political Science with minors in Spanish and Psychology. I want to work in South Carolina’s state politics in the future. My main focus points are improving public education and tackling climate change. I am involved in Citizens’ Climate Lobby where I meet with representatives to promote legislative action on climate issues. I also am an Honors Engaged Liason for the Deliberative Democracy, Liberty and Justice track. I am a part of the Scholar-Citizen Initiative where we work with students and faculty to promote projects on campus. I also am a part of Fandoms United here where I geek out about Doctor Who, Broadway muscials, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson, Game of Thrones, etc! I also play for our Quidditch team, love soccer, and run 5ks and 10ks throughout the year. I am incredibly excited about being your Peer Facilitator! See you soon!

Jenny Nankoua
Peer Facilitator, Thursday 12:15

Hi everyone! My name is Jenny Nankoua and I’m from Lexington South Carolina. I’m currently a sophomore at the college and I’m majoring in biology and minoring in chemistry. I hope to get into the medical field in the future. Along with being a peer facilitator, I’m also involved with Campus Outreach and I’m a volunteer at MUSC. During my free time I enjoy baking and exploring new places. I’m excited to get to know the incoming class of 2022 this year!

THURSDAY @ 1:40

Samantha Czwalina
Peer Facilitator, Thursday 1:40

Hey everyone! My name is Samantha and I’m a sophomore from Greenville, South Carolina. I am a pre-med student double majoring in Biology and Anthropology. In my free time you can usually find me at the beach or studying with Starbucks in the library. I am involved with CofC EMS, work with SSMB, have experience as a residential assistant, and am an ELLC ambassador. In my free time I love to cook and try new restaurants, spend time with friends, read, and binge watch all the best Netflix shows. I’m so excited to meet all of you and I can’t wait to help you explore all the opportunities that College of Charleston has to offer. See you soon Class of 2022!

Kathryn Hollingsworth
Peer Facilitator, Thursday 1:40

Welcome, ya’ll!  My name is Kathryn Hollingsworth, and I’m a sophomore from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. I am at the College of Charleston studying Middle Grades Education to one day lead ELA or History classes, but for now, I will be enjoying the BGS classroom with my talented Honors College peers. On campus, I’m involved with the Women In Leadership Cohort and the BGS Team. The Honors College’s partnerships with local schools have already provided me with career insight, and I will continue to volunteer and observe the system directly. Sanders Clyde School has helped me become a part of the larger Charleston community, along with service work at St. Patrick’s Church. One of my favorite ways to feel connected to the peninsula is to soak up the sun at parks and beaches. Adopt some southern hospitality and say hi if you catch me in Marion Square, the gym, or Starbucks. I’m looking forward to getting to know you!