BGS Team

Faculty and Staff Leaders

Dr. Brooke Falk Permenter
Faculty Fellow and Director of Student Engagement
Email

Welcome to the College of Charleston Honors College!  As an alumna, I can assure you of one thing: you made the right choice.  I received my B.A. in Art History from the College of Charleston Honors College in 2006, and then I completed my PhD at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey. My research focuses primarily on late medieval religious conflict as it is represented in fifteenth-century manuscripts and printed books, but my true passion is using art history to teach students how to understand the world and its history through vision. I teach Beyond George Street with Dr. Cavalli, Colloquia, and Advanced Studies courses in the Honors College, and I also advise students and organize lots of events for our living-learning community in Berry Hall and beyond. The Honors College has been a hugely rewarding part of my life, and I think it is the perfect place to spend my days – working, learning, and growing with all of you!

Dr. Jennifer Cavalli
Advising Fellow and Assistant Director of Student Engagement
Email

I hold a PhD in History from Indiana University and specialize in renaissance and early modern Europe. My research interests include female friendship and spirituality, the intersection of gender, religious institutions, and female authority, history of emotions, and court culture in early modern Italy. After teaching in history, honors, and first year experience on the other side of the country, I joined the CofC Honors teaching team in 2016 and have not looked back since! I do advising and teach Colloquia in the Honors College and am excited to be teaching Beyond George Street with my long-time teaching partner. I spend my free time on the beach, gardening, cooking, and spending time with my husband and pets.

Dr. Elizabeth Meyer-Bernstein
Interim Dean of the Honors College and Associate Professor of Biology
Email

Meyer-B Bio PicI am an Associate Professor in Biology and a faculty member in the Neuroscience Program. I have been at the College of Charleston for 18 years as a faculty member in the Department of Biology and served as the Associate Dean of Honors and the Director of the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities for the past 6 years. I am also a CofC parent as my daughter is a sophomore here at the College.  I enjoy outdoor pursuits such as boating, gardening and relaxing with my family.

Dr. Bryan Ganaway
Interim Associate Dean of the Honors College, Director of Academic Advising for the Honors College, and Director of the International Scholars Program
Email

I received my Ph.D. in Modern European History from the University of Illinois in 2003.  I publish on Modern Germany and the world wars. I teach several colloquia in the Honors College and upper-level classes for History and International Studies. My two daughters (Mila 14, Lydia 11) keep me young and hopeful, but they seem to have the unfortunate side effect of making me go bald at an exponentially increasing rate.

Dr. Jesslyn Collins-Frohlich
Director of Nationally Competitive Awards and Instructor in English

I received my PhD in English from the University of Kentucky. My literary research focuses on race, gender and rights movements as depicted in nineteenth-century literature by women and Native Americans. I also dedicate a significant amount of time to researching and publishing on service learning and how to create courses that help students become effective writers and engaged citizens. At the College of Charleston, I put these research interests to work as an Honors Faculty Fellow and Senior Instructor in the English department as well as the Director of the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards. I teach Honors Academic Writing as well as a number of literature courses. I spend my free time training and riding my horse Olivia or enjoying the sun and sand at Folly Beach.

Email

Ms. Lauren Cortese
Graduate Assistant for the Honors First Year Experience and MFA Candidate in Creative Writing

I am a second year student earning an MFA in Creative Writing. I am a Woodfin Fellow in Fiction as well as an Editorial Assistant at Crazyhorse magazine. When I’m not writing, I enjoys travel, making new vegetarian recipes, and exploring downtown Charleston.

Email

Mr. Joshua Garcia

I live and write in Charleston, South Carolina, where I am pursuing an MFA in poetry at the College of Charleston. In addition to working with the Honors College’s FYE program, I am an Editorial Associate at Crazyhorse. My poetry has appeared or is forthcoming in ImageHobartHomology LitNashville Review, and elsewhere.

Email

Peer Leaders

Peer Facilitators

TUESDAY @ 9:25

Grace Kern – Section 2, BERRY 103

Hello hello! My name is Grace Kern, and I’m a sophomore from Fort Mill, South Carolina. I am (as of this second, don’t hold me to it!) double majoring in International Studies and Political Science with a concentration in Politics, Philosophy, and Law. The dream is to enter the Peace Corps after graduation and later pursue a career in international human rights law or nonprofit work. Outside of being a peer facilitator, I am an Honors Ambassador and the co-founder and Vice President of CougarVotes, and I am involved in Model UN and Cougars with Purpose as well. When I have some free time, I love to take long walks around the city, hit the beach with friends, and watch reality TV with remorse. I look forward to meeting all of you, and if you aren’t already registered to vote, let me know, and we’ll make it happen!

Madi Methvin – Section 10, 10 GW 200

Hi everyone! My name is Madi Methvin, and I’m a Senior in the Honors college from Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. Currently I’m majoring in Political Science and minoring in Psychology and Philosophy, with aspirations of going to law school. In addition to being a Peer Facilitator I work with the Honor’s College’s Scholar-Citizen Initiative and am involved in the Food Security Task Force here on campus! When I’m not in the library I love painting on my back porch, spending time in my garden, and frequenting local coffee shops. I can’t wait to meet you guys! Welcome class of 2024!

TUESDAY @ 10:50

Lauren Ollis – Section 03, BERRY 103

Hey everyone! My name is Lauren Ollis! I am a junior from Fairfax, Virginia, majoring in international business and marketing with a minor in Italian studies. Aside from being a peer facilitator, I am in the Business Fraternity, Phi Chi Theta, the Italian Club, and the Honors Sustainability Cohort. In my free time I love to cook, go to the beach, and watch bad reality TV. I also love to travel, and I have been on two study abroad programs and I am planning on doing more things in the future! I am so excited to meet you all and help you get to know Charleston! See you soon Class of 2024!!

Samantha Czwalina – Section 11, 10 GW 200

Hey everyone! My name is Samantha, and I’m a senior from Greenville, South Carolina. I am a currently double majoring in Geology and Anthropology. In my free time you can usually find me at the beach or studying with Starbucks in the Addlestone library. I am involved with marine biology research, have been a Peer Facilitator for the past two years, and have had the amazing opportunity to study abroad twice (to Panama and Ireland). I’m so excited to meet all of you, and I can’t wait to help you explore all the opportunities that College of Charleston has to offer. See you soon Class of 2024!

TUESDAY @ 12:15

Mary Britt McDonald – Section 04, BERRY 103

Hello everyone! My name is Mary Britt McDonald and I am a senior at the College from Stevens Point, Wisconsin. Participating in analytical chemistry research, volunteering with Charleston Hope and Roper Hospital, and being a member of the AED pre-health fraternity fills my time here at the College. Studying abroad also gave me the opportunity to study development and democracy in Ghana, Jane Austen literature in England, and art/history in France. As I wrap up my studies in Biochemistry and International Studies, I look forward to soaking up one more year of exploring Charleston’s charming streets. Cooking, baking, traveling, cycling, long walks, and savoring a cup of hot tea are a few of my favorite pastimes. This is my third year with the BGS team and I look forward to welcoming the class of 2024 to CofC!

Tuesday @ 1:40

Andrea Kimpson – Section 05, BERRY 103

Hey everyone! My name is Andrea Kimpson, and I am a sophomore from Columbia, South Carolina. I am currently an International Studies major with a concentration in Latin America and the Caribbean, with aspirations of going to law school to eventually work with public policy. On campus, I am a Senator within the Student Government Association, active on the Outreach Board of the Honors Leadership Fellows Society, and a new member of the Honors College Scholar Citizenship Initiative. In my free time, I love listening to all types of music, reading articles I find on Twitter, and attempting to cook. I am so excited to meet and work with all of you this upcoming semester!

Jake Brown – Section 13, 10 GW 200

Hello everyone! My name is Jake Brown and I am a senior from Connecticut. I am double majoring in Spanish and biology and minoring in Linguistics. Besides being a PF, I am the Vice President of AED, the pre-health honors society, and am the membership chair of Scholar Citizen Initiative. I love to travel and spent second semester my sophomore year abroad in Spain. I also love to watch and play sports, especially soccer; go to the beach; and just have a good time with friends. I look forward to meeting the Class of 2024 and helping them throughout their first semester.

Tuesday @ 3:05

Kerrigan von Carlowitz – Section 06, BERRY 103

Hi there! My name is Kerrigan von Carlowitz, and I am a sophomore here at the College of Charleston. As an International Scholar, an Honors Leadership Fellow, and a member of the Honors College, I follow a dedicated path towards academic excellence and sustained enthusiasm both on campus and beyond. I come from a family of eight older brothers in Cleveland, Ohio, and have found in the sweet city of Charleston a second home, among my impressively innovative peers. I am double-majoring in International Studies and Anthropology, with hopes of earning a Masters Degree and PhD in those fields. I dream of conducting field research of the intricately differing cultures of the present and historic human world. I am thrilled to get the opportunity to educate the next graduating class of the Honors College, and learning infinitely from such a fundamental first year experience.

Erika Golden – Section 14, 10 GW 200

Hey everyone! My name is Erika, and I’m a senior from the Boston, Massachusetts area. I am majoring in Political Science and minoring in International Studies, with a dream to work for the State Department someday. Aside from being a peer facilitator, I am also the vice president of Students Demand Action at CofC, secretary of the African Studies club, and I previously conducted research on campus about how one’s politics affect their view on the severity of climate change. In my free time, you’ll find me hanging out at the local coffee shops, walking around the city, or soaking up the sun at the beach. I can’t wait to welcome the class of 2024!

THURSDAY @ 9:25

Rylie Talmadge – Section 01, BERRY 103

Hey there! My name is Rylie Talmadge, and I’m a sophomore from Knoxville TN. I am a Marine Biology major with an intense curiosity about the elusive sharks across our seas. This passion has led to my more interesting activities outside of Peer Facilitating including scuba diving, sailing, and open-water triathlons. If I’m not somewhere in the water, you can find me around campus as a Social Mentor for REACH or in Grice Marine Laboratory researching the physiological costs of parasite load in seatrout. I look forward to meeting you all this fall!

Nina Hayes – Section 15, 10 GW 200

Hey! My name is Nina Hayes, and I’m a Senior at the Honors College from Amherst, Massachusetts. I am majoring in Finance with a minor in Economics. Besides being a PF, I am the COO of the School of Business Investment Program, an officer for the Women in Business club, and I am in a sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. In my free time, you can find me at the beach, watching some Boston sports, or hanging with friends. I can’t wait for you guys to come and see how great our beautiful school is!!

Thursday @ 10:50

Sam Andritsch – Section 07, BERRY 103

Hey Everyone! My name is Sam Andritsch, and I am from a small town in Wisconsin. I am currently a sophomore in the Honors College, and I am majoring in Public Health and minoring in Geoinformatics Science. I am hoping to take these degrees to pursue a career in Epidemiology. I am also involved in the Public Health Society at the College. I have a passion for travel, and I hope to incorporate travel into my studies at the College by studying abroad. When I’m not in class, I love watching any and all sports, as well as exploring Charleston, and relaxing on the beach. I am looking forward to meeting the CofC class of 2024!

Caroline Reece – Section 16, 10 GW 200

Hey everyone! My name is Caroline Reece, and I am a senior from Columbia, South Carolina. I am a Political Science major with a minor in Environmental and Sustainability studies and Women and Gender Studies, hoping to go into environmental law. I am a peer facilitator for the Honors College and other FYE courses on campus, I have an internship with Plastic Pollution Solutions in the Charleston area and I am the President of Students Demand Action on campus. I am looking forward to getting to know the class of 2024!

THURSDAY @12:15

Sydney Gonzales – Section 08, BERRY 103

Hello, everyone! I am a Junior from Sumter, SC. I am majoring in Political Science with a double-minor in Spanish & Psychology. I want to use these skills to improve public education across South Carolina and fight climate change across the world. I work with Charleston Area Justice Ministries, Citizen’s Climate Lobby, Honor’s Scholar-Citizen Initiative, and BGS’s Honors Engaged: Deliberative Democracy to help tackle these issues and many more. Outside of work, I am a part of Fandoms United, where I get to geek out about all my favorite things, and Cougar Activities Board, where we put on campus events throughout the year. I was a PF last year, and am happy to continue working with you all! See you soon!

Kathryn Hollingsworth – Section 17, 10 GW 200

Welcome, class of 2024! My name is Kathryn Hollingsworth and I’m a junior from Myrtle Beach, SC. I am at the College of Charleston studying Middle Grades Education with a concentration in ELA and Social Studies. BGS partnerships with local schools have already provided me with career insight. Volunteering with Sanders Clyde school and St. Patrick’s church have helped me become a part of the larger Charleston community. One of my favorite ways to feel connected to the peninsula is to soak up the sun at parks, beaches, and inlets, so say hi when you spot me at Marion Square. Some might relate to my new love for cooking this year- we will all find commonalities as we take on this adapted semester together. I look forward to getting to know you.

THURSDAY @ 1:40

Mikayla Suggs – Section 09, BERRY 103

Hi y’all! My name is Mikayla Suggs, and I am a Senior (wow!!) in the Honors College from Florence, South Carolina. I am majoring in Special Education with a concentration in mental disabilities/ emotional disabilities and minoring in Music. Currently, I am doing research on the barriers to using music therapy in the K-12 Special Education classroom! After teaching for a few years, I plan to go back to school and get my doctorate to study and practice K-12 Music Therapy. Other organizations that I am a part of on campus are Honors Student Ambassadors, Greek Life, and Teaching Fellows. I also love to volunteer at a dance studio specifically for those with disabilities! Besides working or being at school, you can always find me binge watching a Netflix series or looking at the kitties at Pounce. Although life may look a little different now, I am SO excited to take on this next year with the class of 2024!

Hannah Collins – Section 18, 10 GW 200

Hey y’all! I’m Hannah Collins, and I am a senior in the Honors College from the small town of Conway, South Carolina. I am majoring in Exercise Science and minoring in Chemistry, with the hopes of attending medical school to pursue Orthopedics. Aside from being a PF, I serve as the President of AED, CofC’s pre-health honors fraternity, and as the Secretary of College Diabetes Network. I am also involved in conducting ACL research, I volunteer in MUSC’s Orthopedic unit, and in the past, I served in the College’s Student Government Association and the National Society of Collegiate Scholars. In my spare time you can find me de-stressing at the beach or in the gym, reading any book, binge-watching crime shows, or just enjoying the beautiful city of Charleston. I am so excited to meet the class of 2024 this fall, and I hope to help foster a love for the College within you!

Support Team

Jenny Nankoua

Hi everyone! My name is Jenny Nankoua and I’m from Lexington South Carolina. I’m currently a Senior at the College, and I’m majoring in biology. After graduating I hope to attend an accelerated nursing program and pursue nursing. Along with being a peer facilitator, I’m involved with a campus ministry called Campus Outreach, and I do research at MUSC. During my free time I usually enjoying exploring new places, but since the pandemic I’ve started picking up a new hobby of painting souvenir boxes. This year won’t be a normal year, but I’m excited to get to know the class of 2024 as much as possible!

Belle Tolmich

Hey everyone! My name is Belle Tolmich and I’m a junior at the College! I am from outside of Atlanta, Georgia (a true Southern Belle). Currently I’m majoring in political science with a concentration in public policy! The dream after graduating is to run campaigns and hopefully end up working in the White House, but, we’ll see where life takes me! I’d be content with any job that helps make people’s lives better! Besides being a peer facilitator I am involved in the Chi Omega sorority and I work part-time at a local elementary school. You will never find someone who loves this college and this city more than this girl! I hope you all can love it as much as I do! So excited to get to help welcome you guys!