Reference staff provides access to, and assistance in, using materials in Avery’s Reading Room. All are welcome — students, staff, faculty, scholars and the general public. Inquiries can be made in person, by mail, e-mail, or telephone.
With prior notice, we will be able to provide archival orientation and mini-exhibitions for university courses and K-12 classes.
Reading Room Hours
- Monday through Friday — 10:00am-12:00pm; 1:30pm-5:00pm (closed between 12:00-1:30pm)
- Saturday — by appointment from 10:00am-2:00pm
- Telephone: (843) 953-7608-Archives
- Telephone: (843) 953-7609-General Information
- Deborah Wright, Reference Archivist
The Avery Research Center maintains several galleries and other spaces, sponsors exhibitions produced from the Center’s archival and permanent collections, presents exhibits from South Carolina-based visual artists, hosts temporary exhibitions, sponsors a traveling exhibition program, and conducts daily public tours for individuals and groups.
The Center’s galleries and other public spaces house permanent displays and installations and are sites for workshops, lectures, poetry readings, book signings, receptions, jazz performances and art exhibitions throughout the year.
- Monday through Friday: 10:30am, 11:30am, 1:30pm, 2:30pm, and 3:30pm
- Saturday: by appointment (10:00am-2:00pm)
- Groups of 5 or more must call to schedule a tour appointment
- Telephone: (843) 953-7610
- Email: franksc at cofc dot edu
- Curtis Franks, Director of Museum Education
- From I-26: Exit on Rutledge Avenue and make right turn onto Rutledge Avenue. Stay on Rutledge and cross Calhoun Street and take 2nd right onto Bull Street. On Bull Street, cross Ashley Avenue. The Avery Research Center is a half block down on the left.
- From US-17 South: Stay straight on US 17 South (aka Savannah Highway) and cross bridge. Keep straight onto Coming Street and make left on Rutledge Avenue. Cross Calhoun Street, and take 2nd left onto Bull Street. The Avery Research Center is one-half block on left.
- From US-17 North: Turn left on Rutledge Avenue. Cross Calhoun Street and take 2nd right onto Bull Street. The Avery Research Center is one and one-half blocks on the left.
- There are limited VISITOR parking spaces in our parking lot.
- On the street parking is restricted to 2-hours.
- Buses should drop passengers off at Avery and park at the Visitor’s Center until tour is completed.